Students, in many ways, have been disproportionately affected by the government lockdown. Many rely on small jobs, but are unable to work during the pandemic, and are made to pay for accommodation which they can’t even live in. Now there are a few logical arguments which you can use to money back from student housing due to COVID 19.

Unfortunately, most students are legally obliged to pay their tenancy contracts regardless of the pandemic. Most landlords still have a mortgage and large overheads to pay


There are some things you can do to try and save some money.

1) Check your tenancy agreement to see if you have a break clause and see if you can be released from your contract if you and your landlord can agree on terms . CONTACT YOUR LANDLORD AND LETTING AGENT

2) If your landlord pays for your utilities, try and get a rent reduction by asking the landlord to factor in the savings from not having utilities charged to the landlord. In most cases, you can save on the water and electric bills.

3) JUST ASK you can’t hope for the landlord to be nice to you. Now again this comes down to luck and on your landlords’ position. Some may offer a rent reduction or alternate payment arrangements.

4) Try and find a replacement tenant (MUST HAVE LANDLORDS PERMISSION ) most landlords will agree to this if the new tenant passes any due diligence. Now, this may taker some more effort but people still may need new accommodation. For example, people who may have a vulnerable live-in landlord would need new accommodation.

What if I can’t afford my rent payments??

It’s so crucial that if you know you can’t afford that you contact your landlord and see if they can offer any support to you. The published government advice states that as part of our national effort to respond to the COVID-19 outbreak, it is important that landlords offer support and understanding to tenants whose income level may change due to a sudden change of financial circumstances. You may be able to agree on a rent reduction or a plan where you can pay the rent arrears on a later date. It is possible to reach a plan which is a combination of the two.

Guys while your at it why don’t you also check this link, on how to give money to charity.

1 Comment

Moving out of university- what options do you have? - Skint Survival Guide · May 25, 2020 at 12:50 pm

[…] Perhaps your moving money could come from the refund on your accommodation? […]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *